Cistena is a large shrub that blooms light pink flowers in early spring. It is a member of the cherry family. Since it is a flowering shrub, we fertilize twice per year with an organic fertilizer Espoma PT18 Plant Tone, 18-Pound, once in early spring and once in the fall. Prune with large pruning shears such as Fiskars 25-33 Inch Power-Lever Extendable Hedge Shear (9169), to maintain shape and size. We also must note that Japanese beetles like the leaves of the Cistena. We have had success with an organic insecticide Safer Brand 5118 Insect Killing Soap – 16-Ounce Concentrate
We love our Cistena Shurub? Why? We have 6 reasons …
- The 1st reason is because it is so so pleasing to the eye — dainty pink flowers against a background of burgundy leaves. What a beautiful color scheme!
- The 2nd reason is that some butterfly species use Cistena as a host plant to lay their eggs.
- Cistena is a member of the cherry family, so they are very hardy when when it comes to chilly temperatures. We have had a cold Spring in the Mid-Atlantic area. On the morning of the below video-shoot, temperatures had dropped to 20 degrees, and our Cistena flowers were still pretty!
- Early Spring blooms are very special because you haven’t had time to get out in the garden to plant anything. It’s been cold, snowy and windy for months. By early Spring, we are desperate for pretty blooms, and our Cistena never disappoints!
- Cistena blooms are dependable blooms every Spring! Some plants can be fickle when it comes to blooming. We’ve had our Cistena shrub for several years and the blooms always arrive just after our Japanese Cherry blossoms!
- Cistena is deer resistant! If you have deer in your area, deer resistant plants are worth their weight in gold!
For beginner gardeners, Cistena is a good choice. It requires very little maintenance! For more on pruning flowering shrubs, click here.
A photo posted by itsgardeningtime (@itsgardeningtime) on
For more deer resistant plants, watch our Deer Resistant playlist on YouTube! Check with your local Home Depot, Lowes, online Burpee Gardening or eBay for their selection of Cistena shrubs! To learn how to plant, fertilize and prune your way to a gorgeous garden, subscribe to our YouTube channel!